Wednesday 16 March 2011

new inlay, part one

With new songs come new releases, and as we've just had a couple of songs surface on a split 7" I figured it was time to give our self-release inlay a check-out, over-haul and update. With the need for a new inlay (always looking for an excuse!!) fresh in my mind, I happened across a supply of lovely off-white rough feeling A3 paper which set my mind racing to what would be possible with a Huge surface-area of inlay to fill...here's my blank canvas



Straight away, the idea to fill up one side with a live pic, maybe use several different ones at this large size so you don't know what poster you'll get...luckily, we've got a handful of good large-format pics to choose from...MS Paint and a minute of playing and this fella is now one side of my planned inlay :



Next up, the actual work begins! I was still wanting to stick with the previous inlay idea (seen in background on next pic) but crank it up a notch, so in classic texan style I just made it bigger! and in following with the shirt design (http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/art_is_ego/goldprint.jpg) I thought I'd try the angular thing again. Got the dimensions sketched out whilst at work, looks like it might be OK, not giving much thought to the content at this stage but have roughly laid out where it'll probably land and this'll probably end up being the overall look :



Now I need to re-do this logo Texan-style! First step is to get the thing drawn to the correct lengths n that, next up I do a rough trace of this..my whole thing with this design (and without wanting to get too pretentious on this!!) was the juxtapose of the precise angular against the more organic elemental sketched style, in the same way my vocals in the band act as the more human element against the almost overly mechanical music..to this end, a sloppy trace (within reason!) isn't to be worried about, but the hand held relatively steady so we were all good there.





And now the part I was dreading, the Real work of the piece...but, no point putting it off, and a few hours later (and a fairly cramped wrist!) I had something I was quite liking..







The next stage is getting the text sorted, then cobbling the whole damn thing together...I think there's about 4 hours of pen-to-paper work in my near future, then we should be done with it so should hopefully have this thing released by the Hull gig next week..we'll see..

No comments:

Post a Comment